Sunday, May 8, 2011

"I forgot I packed this.." and other tales of packing adventures

So here at Stephens we have a VERY intense theatre program. Instead of graduating in 2014 like a normal member of the class 2010, I will be graduating in 2013 (that is if the mayans don't destroy the world, just kidding). This earlier graduation is due to that the BFA program here is 3 years and 2 summers. So I have just finished up my first year which means it is time to start my first summer program STI!!! or the Summer Theatre Institute. 4 shows in 7 weeks = CRAZY!!. I will be taking dance classes, stage combat, acting, musical theatre classes, working in the shop, and somehow finding time to eat and sleep.

The first problem I face is the matter of the dorm. I am currently living in 214 Roblee Hall. All STI members must live on 3rd floor Tower Hall, which lucky enough is right across the quad. But as I began to pack up my things I realized, "Holy Monkey Fingers Batman" I have A LOT of stuff. Lucky for my I have an awesome person by the name of Kirstin, who graciously let me store stuff in her apartment.


Now I am all packed to move and as I began to take my pictures and things I had collected over the course of the year off my wall it was like looking through a photo album. Upon one corner of my room I had hanging my # from when I walked in the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure, and it was raining so hard my clothes weren't dry for the next week, or the red/green coaster for Fogo de Chauo in Washington DC that my dad and I went to over Thanksgiving break, a pic of Brooke and I from when we went to her bro's football game, family pics from when had portraits done at Christmas, but what hung the largest out of all these things was the characture I had done on my 2nd day of being here at Stephens.

This was SOO long ago and I think of how far one year has taken me. When I was in high school I was ready for college the moment I watched my brother walk across the gym floor and get his diploma when I was a freshman (p.s. HE JUST GRADUATED COLLEGE, YAY!!). I had always known what I wanted to do and where I wanted to go. I thought I was so ready. Then all of a sudden it August 22nd, and my mom is hugging me goodbye in the LRW parking lot in Columbia Missouri. As I watched the white suburban drive away, I realized I wasn't as ready as I thought. I was 1500 miles away from everything I knew and I was know in the center of the country not knowing a single soul. I was not ready, and wanted nothing more than for my mommy to turn around and come get me and take me home. As I slowly got to know everyone and everyone got to know me I finally got that this was the only fit for me. There is no other school I could go to, and no other place that would make me quite as happy as I am here. THIS IS THE BEST PLACE ON EARTH. :) So after taking down my wall and putting it safely in a folder to be posted next year. I couldn't help but chuckle at all the memories one year has brought, and now 7 weeks of nothing but theatre and theatre students, I think I might be able to add a whole new section to my wall next year. 


Also CONGRATS TO THE STEPHENS COLLEGE CLASS OF 2011!!! SO PROUD OF ALL YOU GIRLS!! ALSO PROUD OF MY BIG BROTHER NICK FOR GRADUATING FROM THE UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH DAKOTA!!! YOU ROCK AND I LOVE YOU!!!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment