Saturday, July 2, 2011

The Beauty in Yesterday

I am back!!! in Montana that is. After 6 months I have finally returned to the big sky. But of instead of going home I am living in Helena for the next 2 months working for Grandstreet Theatre. So I am living with the wonderful Marianne and Charlie Adams. Also living here is Jess, who is from Iowa, and Josey, who hails from Kentucky, so I was the only Montana native, well besides the Adams. So earlier this morning Marianne, Jess, Josey and I decided to take the Helena Historical Society's Tour Train.


As the tour train set out on its journey, we rounded the capital building, saw the new governor's mansion, the old governor's mansion, famous house, famous people, famous events, and the history of Helena as well as Montana. And although I have lived in this state for 13 years I am still fascinated by the stories. But to me the true definition of beauty is history. Knowing that once this place didn't exist and now its a thriving state capital, and everything in between is incredible. For example.......


This is a statue of Thomas Francis Meagher, not General Custer, that was my first guess. Meagher was born in Ireland. He lead the Young Irelanders in 1848 but was caught and original sentenced to death but instead was sent to a jail in Australia. From there he broke out and settled in NYC and joined the Union army during the Civil War. He rose to brigadier general and lead the irish brigade. Post war he was sent to the Montana territory to act as the first acting governor, but sadly drowned in the Missouri during a battle with a native tribe. But now is a statue in front of the capital.

The tour told many more stories of why and how helena came to be. And I couldn't help but feel anything but pride. To know that this is my state and this is my history. I was glad I got to share this experience with Josey, Jess, and Marianne!

My first week back has been amazing. STAY TUNED!!

No comments:

Post a Comment